Meet the energy efficiency requirements for your property with Warmer Sussex
Why do landlords need to start planning to improve the energy efficiency of their properties?
Currently, the MEES (minimum energy efficiency standards) standard for a domestic private rented property is an EPC band E - you can read more about the MEES standard here.
In September 2020, the Government issued a consultation to seek views on proposals around raising energy performance standards for the domestic private rented sector in England and Wales. This consultation is now closed, but it proposed the following:
- Raising the energy performance standard to Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) energy efficiency rating (EER) Band C;
- A phased trajectory for achieving the improvements for new tenancies from 2025 and all tenancies from 2028;
- Increasing the maximum investment amount, resulting in an average per-property spend of £4,700 under a £10,000 cap
- Introducing a ‘fabric first’ approach to energy performance improvements.
- Timeline proposed: response to consultation (i.e. proposed legislation) due Spring 2021, regulations to be ‘laid’ (i.e. become law) in Autumn 2021.
There is an expected increase in MEES standards, with the aim of as many private rented homes as possible being upgraded to EPC Band C by 2030 - read more about the expected increase here.
So why work with Warmer Sussex?
By making use of the Warmer Sussex service as a landlord you can:
- Ensure you’re compliant with the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) of at least an EPC band E for domestic properties
- Find out the most cost-effective way of meeting the current MEES without compromising the potential for future improvements
- Future proof your investment by going further than the current MEES require – our Whole House Plan approach means you will get expert advice on how to meet higher standards
- Choose the level of investment you want to make now – from a single measure to a whole house retrofit
- Save time on project management, as Warmer Sussex will project manage from start to finish
- Gain access to accredited suppliers to undertake works, including the potential to access funding
- Make your property more attractive to prospective tenants by improving comfort (warm in the winter, cool in the summer) while keeping energy bills low.
How does the service work?
Warmer Sussex Plan Builder
Our Plan Builder is a quick, free and easy way to calculate what improvements could be made. This can be used to get an idea of what improvements could be made. After you submit your plan, you will be assigned a Retrofit Coordinator who will discuss your needs and plans in more detail to fully understand what you want to achieve. We then create your bespoke Whole House Plan, which reviews all your options and packages the recommended improvements to suit your preferred upgrade process, with the estimated costs and benefits clearly shown.
Our Whole House Plans are set in stages, so you can easily see what improvements could be made and how they correlate with eachother to improve your property's energy efficiency.
Are you a tenant in a Sussex rental property?
If you’re a tenant in a private rental property in Sussex and want to find out what you can do to improve the energy efficiency of your home, you can find more information on our dedicated page.